Reformed Quartet Touch Down For A Rip-Roaring Return
The final edition of the festival in the Sperrins was bathed in sunshine and, for the first time, the Friday night was for bands, not just boozing and camping. A link-up with the UK City Of Culture team in Londonderry meant the evening was chock full of acts from the city and county. Though it has always focused primarily on guitar bands, Glasgowbury does occasionally dip its toe into electronic waters, though the hushed vocals and mellow beats of Ryan Vail were somewhat marred out by the pumping house music coming from the large Red Bull stage nearby.
At least headliners And So I Watch You From Afar and The Japanese Popstars had no such problems on the main stage.
Silhouette's tourist board anthem, "Can't Keep Up", provided an early evening highlight, as did VerseChorusVerse – the Portstewart Springsteen Tony Wright with a pedigree backing band made up of three-quarters of LaFaro plus Stuart Bell of General Fiasco fame.
But the winners on day one were also the comeback kings, Jetplane Landing. The Derry quartet are back after a four-year hiatus and you could see the joy on Andrew Ferris's face.
Instant classics like "My Radio Heart" rubbed up against "Brave Gravity" and "I Opt Out" for 45 minutes of punk energy.
It was good to have them back. Here's to day two.
- Irish News Gig Guide Features Our Krypton Son And Little Bear April 23, 2014
- Sunday World Features Sullivan & Gold For Caffe Nero Tour April 23, 2014
- Irish News Features Smalltown America And Caffe Nero Mini Tour April 23, 2014
- Coleraine Times Features Smalltown America And Caffe Nero Tour April 23, 2014
- Roe Valley Sentinel Features Smalltown America Nero Tour April 23, 2014
- 4 Or 5 Magicians
- Alan MX
- An Emergency
- And So I Watch You From Afar
- Axis Of
- Clone Quartet
- Crooked Mountain, Crooked Sea
- Die! Die! Die!
- Fickle Public
- Fighting With Wire
- Hooray For Humans
- Jetplane Landing
- Let Our Enemies Beware
- Little Bear
- The Moi Non Plus
- More Than Conquerors
- Negative Pegasus
- Our Krypton Son
- Public Service Broadcast
- Sullivan And Gold
- This Town Needs Guns
- Various Artists
- We Versus The Shark
- The Young Playthings