Irish Times Feature On ASIWYFA: Instruments Of Change
And So I Watch You From Afar: instruments of change
Just when we were about ready to write off post-rock and instrumental rock as the refuges of those who can’t string two words together, along come And So I Watch You From Afar.
These four desperados arrive armed with a chat-up line of a name and a blistering sonic barrage.
What’s most fascinating about ASIWYFA is where they’ve gone in search of inspiration. While many of their non-singing peers have backed themselves into a corner by repeating the same notes over and over again, the Belfast band take their designs from a vast musical spread. They namecheck Ethiopian jazz, hip-hop and calypso – and these influences do shine through when the band start to play.
Their self-titled debut album arrives next month, and ASIWYFA will probably spend the rest of the year bringing the good word to venues everywhere.
** And So I Watch You From Afar is released on Smalltown America on April 13th. ASIWYFA play Belfast’s Mandela Hall on April 4th and Whelan’s, Dublin on May 3rd.
- unknown, Irish Times
- SECR MAPA Features Axis Of 'The Mid Brae Inn' November 20, 2014
- Gigging Northern Ireland Features More Than Conquerors and Sullivan and Gold November 20, 2014
- The Airport Run Interviews USA Nails November 20, 2014
- Charlene Talks to Rigsy On ATL About Local Music November 19, 2014
- Sullivan & Gold Live on The John Toal Show November 19, 2014
- 4 Or 5 Magicians
- Alan MX
- An Emergency
- And So I Watch You From Afar
- Axis Of
- Burning Alms
- Clone Quartet
- Crooked Mountain, Crooked Sea
- Die! Die! Die!
- Fickle Public
- Fighting With Wire
- Hooray For Humans
- Jetplane Landing
- Let Our Enemies Beware
- Little Bear
- The Moi Non Plus
- More Than Conquerors
- Negative Pegasus
- Our Krypton Son
- Public Service Broadcast
- Sullivan And Gold
- This Town Needs Guns
- USA Nails
- Various Artists
- We Versus The Shark
- The Young Playthings